In this article, we will be answering the question, “how did Ray Liotta die” and what was the cause of his death? Along with that, we will take an in-depth look at the life and career of the talented actor. Not only that, but we will also explore his early life, his family background, and how he got started in the entertainment industry.
We’ll be closely examining his most memorable and critically acclaimed roles, such as his portrayal of Henry Hill in Goodfellas and his voice acting and production works. This article will also take a quick look at his personal life and some of the lesser-known facts about him. In short, this article will give you a comprehensive overview of Ray Liotta’s life and work and will help you gain a deeper appreciation for this accomplished actor before he passed away.
Here are all the things that you need to know about Ray Liotta:
Who Is Ray Liotta?
Ray Liotta was an American actor and film producer. He was born on December 18, 1954, in Newark, New Jersey, United States, and passed away on May 26, 2022. His father, Alfred Liotta, was a Fordham University-educated civil rights activist, and his mother, Mary Liotta, was a local radio personality. Ray has a half-sister from his father’s first marriage. However, not much is known about her. Liotta was raised in the city of Union, New Jersey, and graduated from Union High School.
He began his acting career in the late 1970s, appearing in small roles in several television shows and films, but Liotta’s breakthrough role came in 1986 when he starred as the lead in Jonathan Demme’s film Something Wild. He later went on to star in several popular and critically acclaimed films, including Goodfellas (1990), which earned him an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor. He played the role of Henry Hill in the movie. Other notable films of his include Cop Land (1997), Narc (2002), and Identity (2003). Not only movies but Liotta has also appeared in several television shows, including ER and The Sopranos. He has also provided voiceover work for animated films and video games.
The names of Ray Liotta’s family members that have been made public are:
- His father’s name is Alfred Liotta
- His mother’s name is Mary Liotta
- He has a half-sister from his father’s first marriage, but her name is not publicly known.
Please note that Liotta has been quite private about his personal life and family, so there could be other members of his family that have not been publicly disclosed.
Ray Liotta Movies
Here are some of the movies that Ray Liotta has starred in throughout his career:
- Something Wild
- Cop Land
- Observe and Report
- Killing Them Softly
- Sinatra Club
- The Iceman
- The Place Beyond the Pines
- Field of Lost Shoes
- John Wick: Chapter 2
- Wild Hogs
- Corrina, Corrina
- The Many Saints of Newark
Ray Liotta Shows
In addition to his film work, Ray Liotta has also appeared in several television shows. Here are a few examples:
- ER (TV series, 2005-2009) as Dr. John Taglieri
- The Sopranos (TV series, 2007) as Ray-Ray
- Smash (TV series, 2012-2013) as Jerry Rand
- Shades of Blue (TV series, 2016-2018) as Matt Wozniak
- Designated Survivor (TV series, 2018-2019) as Cornelius Moss
- The Blacklist (TV series, 2019-2021) as Robert Vesco
- The Many Saints of Newark (TV series, 2020) as Dickie Moltisanti
This list is not exhaustive, and there are several other shows he guest-starred or did the recurring roles.
Ray Liotta Parent’s Name
His father’s name is Alfred Liotta, and his mother is Mary Liotta.
Ray Liotta Height And Weight
Ray Liotta is 6 feet (183 cm) tall. As for his weight, that information is not readily available and may have changed over time.
Ray Liotta’s Net Worth
Ray Liotta had an estimated net worth of $14 million at the time of his death last year. According to multiple sources, Ray Liotta’s net worth in 2022 was estimated to be around $14 million. Please do keep in mind that the actual numbers could be more.
When Did Ray Liotta Die, And What Was The Cause Of His Death?
Ray Liotta passed away on May 26, 2022, in his sleep at the age of 67 in the Dominican Republic while they were filming a movie. His publicist, Jennifer Allen, said that the cause of death was unknown at the time.
15 Facts About Ray Liotta
Here are some facts that you need to know about Ray Liotta:
- Ray Liotta is an American actor, producer, and voice actor, known for his roles in films like Goodfellas, Something Wild, and Blow.
- He was born on December 18, 1954, in Newark, New Jersey, United States
- He started his acting career in the late 1970s and early 1980s, appearing in small roles in films and television.
- He rose to fame in the 1990s with his roles in Goodfellas, which earned him a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor, and Field of Dreams.
- He was also nominated for a Primetime Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie for his role in the miniseries “The Rat Pack”
- His other notable films include Something Wild, Cop Land, Blow, and Hannibal.
- He has also appeared in several television shows, including ER, The Sopranos, Smash, Shades of Blue, and Designated Survivor.
- He is the founder and CEO of the production company, Derek Productions
- He was married twice, first to actress Michele Farrell and then to actress Ellen Grinstein
- He has a daughter named Karsen Liotta with his second wife
- He is a supporter of the Alzheimer’s Association, and he has dedicated his time to raising awareness for the disease and helped raise funds for research
- He does voiceover work, including voice acting for video games, such as Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
- He has done several stage shows; he made his Broadway debut in 2008 in the play “That Championship Season”
- He has had different hobbies throughout his life, including playing the guitar and skiing
- He is considered one of his generation’s most intense and intense actors and has a reputation for immersing himself fully in his roles.
How Old Was Ray Liotta When He Passed Away?
Ray Liotta was 67 years old when he died.
Ray Liotta Awards
Ray Liotta has won several awards throughout his career for his performances in film and television. Here are a few notable examples:
- In 1991, he won a Hollywood Film Festival Award for his role in Goodfellas.
- He was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role as Henry Hill in Goodfellas and also nominated for a Primetime Emmy for his role as Dean Martin in The Rat Pack (1998)
- He also won the Golden Globe award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television in 1999 for his role in the miniseries “The Rat Pack”
- He has also won several awards from film festivals, such as the Sitges – Catalan International Film Festival award for Best Actor for his role in Identity (2003) and the Venice Film Festival award for Best Actor for his role in Something Wild (1986)
- He has also been honored by several organizations for his contributions to the film industry, such as the Career Achievement Award from the Savannah Film Festival in 2010
- In 2016, he won the Golden Icon Award for Lifetime Achievement in Acting at the Zurich Film Festival
- In 2015, he was nominated for a Golden Globe award for his role in the tv series “Shades of Blue”
- In 2012, he received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
- In 2006, he won the Method Fest Independent Film Festival award for Best Actor for his role in the film “Smokin’ Aces”
- In 1996, he was nominated for the Screen Actors Guild award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture for his role in the film “Things to Do in Denver When You’re Dead”
Please note that this list is not exhaustive, and he might have won more awards or been nominated for awards that are not included in this list.
Ray Liotta Relationship History
Ray Liotta was in relationships with Catherine Hickland (2007 – 2011), Jill Marie Jones (2006), Donna Puzio (2003 – 2004), Sherrie Rose (1991 – 1992), Michelle Johnson (1991), Jacy Nittolo (2020 – 2022, engaged), and Lorraine Bracco (1984 – 1989). He was also engaged to fiancee Jacy Nittolo in December 2020.
Ray Liotta Children
Ray Liotta had one child, a daughter named Karsen, who he welcomed in 1998 with ex-wife Michelle Grace.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions About Ray Liotta
What was Ray Liotta’s Net Worth and Salary?
Ray Liotta had an estimated net worth of $14 million at the time of his death.
When was Ray Liotta born?
Ray Liotta was born on December 18, 1954.
Where was Ray Liotta born?
Ray Liotta was born in Newark, New Jersey.
When did Ray Liotta die?
Ray Liotta died on May 26, 2021.
What was the cause of death for Ray Liotta?
The cause of death for Ray Liotta was not known at the time of his death.
What movies did Ray Liotta star in?
Ray Liotta starred in films such as Unlawful Entry (1992), No Escape (1994), Cop Land (1997), Hannibal (2001), Blow (2001), Narc (2002), John Q (2002), Identity (2003), Killing Them Softly (2012), The Place Beyond the Pines (2012), Kill the Messenger (2014), Marriage Story (2019) and The Many Saints of Newark (2021).
What awards did Ray Liotta win?
Ray Liotta won a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series in 2004 and received nominations for a Golden Globe and two Screen Actors Guild Awards.
What kind of roles did Ray Liotta play?
Ray Liotta played various roles, including psychopathic cop, mobster, singer, ghost, compulsive gambler, and Justice Department official.
How old was Ray Liotta when he died?
Ray Liotta was 67 years old when he died.
Where did Ray Liotta die?
Ray Liotta died in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
What video game did Ray Liotta voice?
Ray Liotta provided the voice of Tommy Vercetti for the 2002 video game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.
What television show did Ray Liotta star in?
With Jennifer Lopez, Ray Liotta starred in the drama series Shades of Blue (2016–2018).
What university did Ray Liotta attend?
Ray Liotta attended the University of Miami, where he studied acting and graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in 1978.
What Broadway show did Ray Liotta star in?
Ray Liotta starred in the play Match in 2004.
What is Ray Liotta’s most popular role?
Ray Liotta’s most popular role is his portrayal of real-life mobster Henry Hill in Martin Scorsese’s Academy Award-winning film Goodfellas (1990).
Summary – Ray Liotta
In short, Ray Liotta was once a very talented and accomplished actor who contributed significantly to the film and television industry, particularly in Hollywood. With a career spanning several decades, he managed to delivere some of the most powerful and memorable performances in film and television history. From Goodfellas to Something Wild, Cop Land to Smash, his versatility and intensity have won him critical acclaim and numerous awards and nominations. Various organizations have also honored him for his contributions to the film industry.